Parent Child Stage 1
Children ages 6 months-1 year with an adult.
Prerequisites: be at least 6 months old by the first day of class.
Skills Learned at this Stage:
Familiarize children with the water and builds readiness skills like entering and exiting the water, blowing bubbles, exploring submerging, front and back floats, water safety, through various teaching strategies like songs, games, and tasks Provides safety information for parents and teach techniques parents can use with their children the water. Provides an opportunity to build the parent/child relationship. Children must wear a swim diaper in class.
- Getting wet with toys and kicking
- Submerging mouth, nose and eyes
- How to call for help and the importance of knowing first aid and CPR
- Enter water by lifting in and walking in
- Front and back floats and glides
- Out-of-water and in-water exploration
- Roll from front to back and back to front
- Basic water safety rules
- Exit water by lifting out and walking out
- Passing from instructor to parent
- General water safety around the home
- Blowing bubbles on the surface
- Leg actions on front and back
- Recreational water illnesses
- Blowing bubbles with mouth and nose submerged
- The importance of wearing a life jacket
- Sun safety
- Underwater exploration